"SUCCESS SECRETS OF BIG BUSINESS PROJECTS"
Author: Dr David Stevens
"This is an eminently readable book which is full of sound practical advice. Dr Stuart Green, The University of Reading, UK
Dr Stuart Green, The University of Reading, UK
This book is for any manager or team leader in any sized organisation, public or private, who needs to implement processes of projects and yield maximum returns with minimum risk.
Dr David Stevens is an organisational and corporate psychologist. He formed Strategic Thinking 10 years ago and since then has been involved in more than 1000 studies and projects with major government and multinational organisations in Australasia, the USA, the UK, Europe and the Asia-Pacific region. He believes that we must harness the human mind, especially working in focused groups, as the greatest resource available in the development of businesses and projects. This concept has been applied to a wide range of businesses and projects, from small to large, all with outstanding success.
In Strategic Thinking, Dr Stevens advocates that the formal group problem solving methodologies that he has refined and practiced worldwide should be taken from the large government and private sector organisations and applied to small business to dramatically increase profitability.
The processes put forward in the book are practical and can be undertaken in short, one to two day workshops or retreats. Chapters include:
- Introduction - Project versus Organisational Focus
- Strategic Thinking - A Simple Model for Group Problem Solving
- An Overview of the Methodologies for Public and Private Sectors
- Getting the Concept Right in the First Place - Value Management
- Saving Money and Time in Value Engineering
- Working Through Adversity - The Management of Risk
- Selecting the Right Option - Economic and Financial Feasibility Status
- Keeping All Parties Happy - Partnering Process
- Don't Repeat Mistakes - The Post Completion Review
- Ensuring the Correct Client Brief - The Strategic Diagnosis
- Re-Thinking the Quality Journey
- The Whole Picture - The Strategic Planning Approach
Strategic Thinking will allow the reader to:
- Implement group problem solving techniques, proven to work in large organisations, within small and medium sized organisations.
- Reduce the risk involved in the implementation of any project or process.
- Fully utilise the potential of the people within a group to achieve the goals of the organisation.
- Ensure that mistakes are not repeated but that successes are!
Available from McGraw-Hill Australia
Read testimonials Return to index
Strategic Thinking the paper-back version
"The value management process identified savings of HK$1.4 billion in three days for a project in Honk Kong; £80 million for another in England in one day; more than Aus$70 million in two days for an airport in Australia. What project can afford not to have the benefits of these secrets?"
Chairman, Rawlinsons, Australia
Strategic Thinking written in Chinese language
"Many of Dr. Stevens' facilitation secrets are revealed, but the extensive use of case studies for real organisations gives the reader tremendous insight in decision-making processes that lead to success for organisation, big or small."
Managing Director, Symonds Facilities and Project Management, Australia
"The techniques and processes described in this book are proven. this easy-to-read presentation articulates how strategic thinking and group problem solving can be exploited on major infrastructure projects."
Managing Director, Maunsell Management, Hong Kong
Participatory Business Planning
In this book, David Stevens explains how the principles of Participatory Business Planning may be applied to any business or public body, of any size and how they can turn adversity into prosperity and efficiency.
The innovative approach to business planning described in this book is the result of not only many years' research, but of the experience of running over 300 participatory sessions in a whole range of enterprises, in every State in Australia as well as other countries throughout the world.
Through this book, David Stevens brings the benefit of the revolutionary concept to all companies and steers them through the troubled waters of recession.